Pommard is a very old village, and stands on the site of an early Christian temple, built by the Gauls and dedicated to Pomona, the goddess entrusted with the protection of fruits. By the year 1005, the village name had become "Polmarium" or "Polmarca," and underwent several subsequent changes in name before becoming "Pommard." During the Middle Ages, Pommard grew to be an important way-station for travellers passing between Beaune and Chagny, providing the only crossing point for miles along the Serein River before construction of the first bridge in 1670. This slender ford was marked by a cross, called the "Croix de Pommard", which was little help to travellers frequently washed away by the often violent river. The fact that Pommard is perhaps the most widely-known place-name in Burgundy is, curiously, due to the Huguenots. Banished after the Edict of Nantes, they chose to take with them this sturdy, long-lived wine, which they continued to import to each of their adopted countries.
The Les Rugiens vineyards, divided between the two parcels of Les Rugiens-Hauts and Les Rugiens-Bas, is situated at the summit of Pommard's slope, just south of the village, and covers 31 acres. The name "Rugiens", a derivative of "rouge," describes the reddish color of the soil, a result of its extremely high iron content. It is considered, with Les Epenots, to be Pommard's finest and most lasting premier cru. Maison Louis Jadot vinifies the production of growers, primarily from the finer Rugiens-Bas, to evoke the robust, masculine qualities of this great red wine. Its vigorous, rich fruit, set in a powerfully built structure, is completed by the distinct earthy notes of its ferrous soils and a lasting, finish.