"Straw yellow with some greenish notes, this example offers elegant aromas of green fruit, stony minerals and notes of gunsmoke on the nose, leading to a palate of excellent structure, with flavours of ripe pear, apple and a distinct aftertaste of flint. Good acidity, pair with oysters, caviar, fish or shellfish.
The winemaking origins of this estate in the Appenine foothills of Piemonte date back to 1250 when it was an Abbey, producing wheat and wine. The guard-tower and some parts of the chapel still remain. Its ownership changed over the centuries, passing through the hands of the Giustiniani family who rebuilt it in its current form in 1625. It is now owned by the Lombardini family with general manager Enrico Tomalino.
Consultant enologist Donato Lanati, one of Italy’s best young consultants and a specialist in Gavi, started work at La Giustiniana at the beginning of 1998. The improvements he has wrought in the last few years are evident in the quality of the wines, in their clean, intense flavours and excellent quality/price ratio.
The estate covers 110 hectares of which 40 are planted with vineyards, predominantly with Cortese, the grape for Gavi. Situated at an altitude of 300-500m above sea level, soils range from sandy in the Lugarara vineyard to gravel and red soil in the Montessora vineyard."